Most people, when they are looking for something online, begin at a search engine such as Google or MSN. They type in a query, and then look through the results from top to bottom, click the item or items of interest. Statistics have shown that the highest placed result in the search results tends to get the most visitors, and lower placed results gradually less as you go down the page. Only a small percentage of web surfers browse through the subsequent pages in the search results, and hence these get even less visitors. This simple observation leads us to an inescapable conclusion – if you want to get more traffic from search engines, the best way to do it is to find some way to come up higher in the search results.
A variety of tools, products and services have been developed for webmasters wishing to improve the search engine placement of their web sites. These range from the very good to the downright awful, and yes there are even a few outright scams.
Personally I would recommend against paying for search engine marketing services to do your search engine marketing for you. This is because marketing and promotion is an essential part of your business, and one that you probably do not wish to lose control over. Additionally, if you invest once in software, and then do the work yourself, you can be confident that the job is being done right, being done regularly, and yet your marketing efforts remain economical.
There are several types of search engine placement software that I would suggest you consider:
1. Keyword Research Tools – These are programs that will help you figure out what keywords people are searching on, what keywords your competitors are targeting, and what keywords your marketing efforts should target.
2. Page Optimization Tools – In the past, the most important part of search engine optimization was customizing your web pages to place your most important keywords in prominent positions such as the Title and Header tags. Today, this is less important, but still worthwhile. Page Optimization Tools will facilitate this step.
3. Directory Submission Tools – Gaining links from other sites is today one of the best ways to improve your site’s search engine placement. Since there are over a thousand Internet directories, most of which accept free submissions, submitting to directories is an easy way to gain backlinks. Investing in directory submitter software will allow you to get this job done quickly and efficiently.
4. Link Exchange Tools – Another easy way to get links is to swap links with other sites. Using software to help you, will allow you to get the best return on your investment of time – look at programs such as OutRankSmart, SEO Elite or SEO Equalizer.
5. Article Submission Tools – One of the best ways to get large numbers of backlinks is writing articles and submitting them to article directories. You can use article submitter software to quickly submit each of your articles to hundreds of article directories.