SEO or Search Engine Optimization is a powerful web marketing technique. In fact, it is one of the terms most often used with regard to the Internet and online marketing of goods and services. While many other industry and marketing trends come and go, SEO is one technique that will only get better and better. In a highly advanced web-connected world, the Internet is dominated by search engines which are the cornerstones for information search by everyone.
From the business point of view, every business or company that has to connect with the consumer needs a website to market products and services. This is a must to keep the company relevant and accessible to consumers; in turn this creates extra web traffic directed to the company site resulting in added business and more revenues. Digital marketers insist on professional and expensive SEO techniques and strategies, but foremost for every business is an understanding of the basics of SEO.
Some of the basic terms or techniques that are essential for even small businesses to know are:
• SEO – the term itself sound more complicated than the actual technique which is a process where a company’s website is aligned with the standard recommendations of engines so that it gets enhanced visibility on the web and increased traffic. The single most important factor in search engine context is ‘relevancy’ of a web page, portal or listing to the search which is determined by engine algorithms to create safe and legitimate user experience.
• SERP – known as Search Engine Results Page, this describes the actual listing or order of rank of a website or web page that a user is given after a search. SERP is directly relevant to SEO because sound SEO practices result in strong SERP.
• Role of keywords in SEO – keywords used to important earlier but their relevance is waning. Simply jamming a web page or website with keywords that are commonly searched for without additional content is not the way to go; search engines have become smarter. Intelligent use of impactful content that aims for satisfactory usability for the end-user is the key to better usage of keywords.
• SEO and impact of social media – every business needs a strong social media presence; creating relevant profiles on industry appropriate channels can help achieve better engine rankings.
• Importance of quality content – this is the essence of SEO. Tricking search engines with keyword jamming should be avoided. Creative content that is engaging and valuable differentiates one company from a competitor.
Search engine standards are still evolving and businesses will do better by keeping up with the latest suggestions and principles to achieve stronger search engine optimization and better page rankings.