The best way to get more clients and customers is to write a business plan. A business plan can help you analyze your marketing strategy. Here are some ideas for ways to acquire new customers that you may want to list in your business plan.
1) Temp agencies. Are there any temp agencies in your area that can send you part time work to help you get going with your business? Temp agencies are a great form of supplemental income. They may pay you less than what you would normally charge clients but money is money.
2) References. Are there 30 centers of influence in your life such as friends, family, coworkers and community leaders that could refer business to you?
3) Affiliates. Are there people that work in your field that could refer work to you when they are too busy? Can you refer work to them when you are too busy? This alone could be 5-10% of your sales portfolio.
4) Old customers. Are there old customers you worked for in the past? If so, they know your work and might consider hiring you as a consultant.
5) Conferences. Are there any conferences coming to town? Are any of them related to your field? Are the attendees your target customer? Many conferences offer a booklet of some sort with a list of attendees. This is a great way to fish for leads.
6) PPC and SEO. Have you tried pay-per-click advertising and search engine optimization? These two items alone could easily net you five figures in one year if left on autopilot.